Reaching for Young Stars
On the 20th September, Haute Cabriére had the privilege of being involved in “Reaching for Young Stars”, hosted by “One & Only“. The event welcomed eight of the most prominent culinary institutes to “NOBU” , the world-renowned Japanese restaurant. The restaurant was crammed with the “Young Stars”, winemakers and the heads of the culinary schools involved.
The teams, consisting of well groomed and prepared duos, gained “cellar to table” experience with in-depth tastings and hospitality advice from the wine farms involved in the event. Besides our lovely vineyard, the other wine estates involved were Anthonij Rupert Wyne, Bellingham, Durbanville Hills, Hamilton Russell Vineyards, Linton Park, Stellenzicht, and Stellar Organics.
The competition was preceded by Michelin grade workshops and lectures on the products to be used in the competition, namely wine, the broader aspects of versatile pork, cheese, olive oil, sea salt and coffee.
Reuben Riffel headed up the food judges, Luvo Ntezo led the adjudication of the wine and Jerome Peters assessed the kitchen.
The competitors were challenged to create a three-course meal that showcased South African pork, Lancewood cheese, Rio Lager Olive Oil and Khoisan sea salt in a delectable fashion and to be paired with a wine from one of the wine estates involved.
The prize giving took place on the 3rd of November where the who’s who of the culinary world were present. After a presentation and some speeches from acclaimed players in the industry, the top achievers were announced:
- 1st Prize & Winner of the Lancewood Best Dessert : Lukas Wiese & Andrew Barnard (The Hurst Campus & Stellar Organics)
- 2nd Prize: Demi Filannino & Robin Farr (Silwood School of Cookery & Hamilton Russell Vineyards)
- 3rd Prize: Matthew van Duuren & Clair Leathem (South African Chefs Academy (SACA) & Haute Cabrière)
- 1st Prize: Benjamin Meggitt-Nxumalo (International Hotel School (IHS) & Linton Park)
- 2nd Prize: Carl van Niekerk (Cape Town Hotel School Granger Bay (CPUT) & Bellingham Wines)
- 3rd Prize – TIE – Andrias De Nysschen (The Private Hotel School & Anthonij Rupert Wyne) and Julian Jansen (Cape Town Hotel School Granger Bay (CPUT) & Stellenzicht)
Chef Patron Luke Dale-Roberts presented a superb insight on how the right values are an integral part of this industry taking participation to another level and in this way bringing democracy to the kitchen. “Honesty creates trust. Trust creates cohesion. Cohesion creates loyalty.” Naturally this resonated with us and our philosophy of sun-soil-vine-man.
Haute Cabriére are extremely proud to be a part of this initiative, it is truly an exquisite showcase of South African talent and products. Congratulations to all the teams that participated and well done to showcook.com. We look forward to finding out what’s in store next year.