This recipe makes 4kg’s. That may seem like a lot of tomato jam, but it keeps very well and can also be used for gifting.
- 5 kg cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 4 kg sugar
- 1 knob ginger cut in half
- 4 garlic gloves cleaned and crushed
- 4 star aniseed pods
- 2 chillies cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin
- Muslin cloth and string (a disposable and thin kitchen wipe/cloth or cotton bag can work.
Place the tomatoes and sugar in a large pot and stir to distribute the sugar and tomatoes, bind the rest of the ingredients in the muslin cloth, tie with the string and place in the pot. Cook on low heat for 4 hours it should be dark red, almost caramel in colour. Check the consistency by placing some of the mixture on a small plate and refrigerate. Should it cool with a jam-like consistency, it is complete, if not, continue to cook for a further 1-2 hours. You may do the same consistency check during the additional 1-2 hours.
Remove from the heat place in a container in the fridge to cool down. Remove spice bag, and bottle in sterilised jars.